Since ages plants and herbs have been used for medicinal purpose. This aids in providing natural immunity to the body. Mushrooms are the fleshy, spongy and spore bearing fruits body of a fungus. People not only consider it as a good source of food but as the best remedy for illness as well.
What benefits does Reishi mushroom yields?
The Reishi mushroom has been with us since the last 2000 years. It is commonly known as Lingzhi in Chinese .It has been used for various medicinal systems to cure health disorders mainly the upper fruit part. It is mainly a fungus which people consider as hard and woody with an unpleasant taste.
Some of the uses of Reishi mushroom are-
- Curing viral infections like flu.
- It helps in boosting immune system.
- It also acts as a remedy for blood pressure, heart disease and to cure cancer and liver disease.
- For those having trouble in sleeping (insomnia), it acts as a best cure for them along with decrease in fatigue.
How does Reishi work?
Due to its profound medical use this mushroom has attracted scientific attention. The Reishi mushroom contains chemicals that have numerous positive effects. It contains many phytonutrients including antioxidants, triterpenes and polysaccharides. However, many constitutes of Reishi are yet to be identified.
Still the research is going on to know what more potential does Reishi has to promote neurological function, develop immune system, maintain cardiovascular function and also to normalise hormone levels in the body.
What side effects does Reishi have?
Though being preferred by many but the phytonutrient constituents of Reishi may interrelate with the medications and cause the side effects. Some of the side effects of Reishi extract are-
- Those who take this supplement along with antihypertensive prescription drugs can experience low blood pressure and dizziness.
- Adenosine, a phytonutrient many also cause improper formation of blood platelets when use with antiplatelet medications.
- Also for those who are already taking medications for blood clotting should avoid the use of Reishi mushrooms.
Other side effects of this supplement may include breakouts, dry mouth or throat, dry nose and even nose bleeds, itching skin, bloody stool or stomach upset.
Though this supplement has received GRAS status from FDA but that does not allow it for everyone. You should always consult with your doctor for these medications prior, to know about the possible effects it can have in your body.